Thursday, July 18, 2019

Caterpillar Soup and Butterfly Wings

Relapse. Approximately 22 percent of patients relapse post HSCT. Those healthy harvested stem cells "re-activate," once again mistakingly attacking the body. Relapse is officially categorized as the need for DMARDS, aka immunesupressive therapy. This week, my team confirmed what we have all know for the past few months, I fall into that 22 percent. I have relapsed post HSCT.

Unfortunately, this goes well beyond my GI tract, though it was certainly the first system to be severely impacted. Even with my J feeds and gastric decompression I simply am not getting adequate nutrition. I continue to lose weight, be severely dehydrated, and don't seem to absorb much of the vital nutrients found in my formula. Words like TPN and gastric pacemaker have been thrown around recently. My hair is falling out. My finger tips are deteriorating. My joints are inflamed... And the pain. My gosh I forgot how much pain I used to be in pre-transplant. My body feels like it's been used as a battering ram.

My team would like me to begin immediate Rituxan infusions, though Actemra is also being considered. Honestly, I don't want to do either. I don't want to do any treatment, period. I struggled through so many grueling treatments over the last 7 years. Half the time the side effects from treatment were just as bad, if not worse, than my actual disease. I blindly gave up my autonomy in hopes of prolonging my life. I gave up my job. My schooling. My dreams. My ability to have children. Everything. There were weeks at a time where I felt less than human. Not to mention all the times I nearly died trying to stay alive.

I now understand that those years were my chrysalis. They molded and shaped me - but also, much like a caterpillar, completely disintegrated me in the process. I am not interested in another metamorphoses. Especially since I now know what to expect inside that cocoon. I already worked to become a butterfly! I no longer want to be a robot whose sole mission is to survive, to preserve life at any and all cost. I want to be a whole person, not a MRN number read off by a nurse at the infusion center for the thousandths time. I want to skydive! I want to sing opera!

This time around, instead of doing whatever it takes to have more time I simply want my time to BE MORE! This isn't giving up the fight, this is fighting to fully live! I want to use those butterfly wings I worked so hard for to FLY - not be disintegrated into caterpillar soup (again) in hopes of better wings. 

Luckily, I have an amazing team. They get it. They don't necessarily like it, but they understand. They even signed off on my skydiving waiver... very, very hesitantly, while explaining what a horrible idea it was. lol (I jump on Aug 28th!) We decided to come to an agreement. I get two months free of treatment, free of surgeries, free of new medications, free of pressure. They want me to take these 60 days to really think about my decision. To truly decide what route I want to take - as this is not a decision to be taken lightly. It was explained to me in detail that I will decline within this time frame, but my concerns and thought process were also validated. If I decide to move forward with treatment, a gastric pacemaker and port would be placed and Rituxan and steroids would be begun in mid September - though they are all really hoping I change my mind and begin much sooner than that. Truth be told, right now I don't know. What I do know is that I need an undisclosed amount of time to clear my head, talk with family members, meet with my therapist, and do some serious prayer work. Life is about so much more than always trying to get to a better place. Sometimes it is just about enjoying the ride - even if it is down a bumpy, unpaved gravel path.


18 comments:

  1. 💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be praying for you during this critical phase of your journey. God is walking beside every step of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your break. Sometimes we need to stop and reassess our direction. I too have taken a few months off my rituxan. I will resume in the fall..
    If you die skydiving so be it. You are loved beyond measure and I’m on my knees praying for you
    ❤️Margaret Kinaitis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Long distance hugs to you! You'll be in my prayers! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are human. Sometimes I think people forget that in reading and following others lives, you are human and have the right to do what you want. I hope you have a blast skydiving and being in the moment even more than you already are. Your drive and passion to share your story has run deep and true with many people on the earth and that can put a smile on your face. I hope these next 2 months provide you a minimum one smile a day - even on a day where you might not be feeling strong....if we can smile, we can find that joy within ourselves. Rock on Chanel!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your time as a butterfly! You've worked hard to become who you are. I pray you have overwhelming peace whatever you decide. ��

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always a grateful and graceful women. We should all take at least a snippet of your essence and would be better for it. Enjoy skydiving and other things you do after that. I'm sending prayers ��. It's essentially your choice because it is your life. We all Suppport any decision you will make in the future. Butterfly away to some joyful events in your 60 days������

    ReplyDelete
  8. sending you lots of love and joy in the next 60 days and for the foreseeable future. I support you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You represent endurance, change, hope and life....just like a butterfly. Live out your own life your way,beautiful girl! You've earned that right! Praying for peace for you, no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All you need is Love, which is good, because I have an endless supply of Loving Kindness and Compassion to give! I am now, and always have been your Friend. Much Love, Many Blessings and Gratitude and Joy Xoxox Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quality over Quantity...
    I completely understand this.
    You are an inspiration,beautiful girl.
    Sending love & prayers.
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you have the time of your life! Where your body may be weak, your 'person' is so very strong. Do 'you'! As a former medical professional, I am proud of those that take their power back and quit taking orders from the doctors as the law of the land. It IS your life and quality trumps quantity. Every. Single. Time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The way you just expressed yourself and your deepest soul was so beautiful. Many blessings to your gorgeous butterfly spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Take the time you need! We need to live as unlimited as possible. Bless you! 💙

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! I too was diagnosed with Polymyositis.(about 15yrs ago) Of course developing other issues along the way, interstitial lung disease and thyroid cancer. Sooo I completely get it!! You are such a strong person for getting as far as you have.(with what life has dealt you) I think I've faced the fact that I'll never run again. So it's okay to take a break!! You don't have to feel like you live at the doctor's offices and hospitals. It's okay to take a break from getting poked and paraded and having this test and that surgery. With that said, I too do Rituxan. And have for the last 5-6 yrs. I go in once a week for four weeks straight and I do that every six months. My CK was down to 86 last month, the lowest it has ever been. If you DO decide to do the rituxan I hope you get good results. I wish you nothing but the best and party it up girl! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are such an inspiration and I can totally relate to this part of your story but in a different way.
    I use your video a lot to educate ppl on 'invisible' illness, you did such a superb job and helped so many have a better understanding about it. I hope it warms your heart knowing your intimacy with the reader offers positive insight to an otherwise, uncomfortable topic.
    Do what's right for you now. No one but you knows which way is best to go on this journey, it is uniquely ours. Whatever way you travel, is where you need to be at this point in time.
    I wish you as much peace as possible and to smother yourself in that which brings your heart the most joy.

    ReplyDelete